Sunday, December 6, 2009

Top 5.

One of the best compliments I've ever gotten was from a friend of mine at one of her shows. I was wearing my "Superhero" outfit. She said "I wish I had the balls to pull off the crazy things you do." After thanking her (that's one hell of a compliment!), I started to think. Was what I was wearing crazy or was it out of the ordinary? There is a difference.

To be “stylish” one has to have people to copy. There are the typical ones, the Audrey Hepburns, the Sarah Jessica Parkers, even the Lady GaGas. I’m not denying someone like Marliyn Monroe, the woman that the world associates with timeless beauty, isn’t on my list. These aren’t people who have style-- it’s people who I personally love.

So, after thinking about it for days and days, I have narrowed it down to my TOP 5 STYLE ICONS. This is in no particular order in any way.


1. Zooey Deschanel: Besides being featured at the very top of this page (looking like a fantastic pinup), Zooey Deschanel is one of the people I try to copy the most (maybe this is in order after all?). Her hair hasn't changed in years and that's not a bad thing-- she's found a style who works for her. (Problem? Also see Brooke Shields: also been rocking the same 'do since the 80s.) She has made big bangs, simple eye makeup and cardigans cool again. This picture is from an awesome short film she did with Joseph Gordon-Levitt who co-stars in the movie (500)Days of Summer with her. Marc Webb, who also directed that movie, directed the little video where the two of them dance around in amazing outfits, making all of us jealous that we aren't as talented or as well dressed as those two (um... there's really more to it than that). Check out her entire wardrobe for (500) Days of Summer. You’ll be blown away!


2. Kate Nash: In my entire life I have never seen anyone use color like she does. Patterned dresses? Check. Big, 60’s hair? Check. Adorable flats with bright tights? Check and check. Super daring, super cute, and always has a smile on her face. (If we’ve learned anything from Annie and Daddy Warbucks, you’re never fully dressed without it!) It took me some convincing, but my love of flats stems from Kate Nash. Ask anyone I work with, that's all I wear to work. (I will be touching on this in the future, but even as a girl who loves her some cute heels, how the hell can women wear them for an eight hour shift? High five, Victoria Beckham!) In her video for “Caroline’s a Victim”, she’s rocking about five colors in one outfit. I highly suggest not only watching it, but checking out some of her music as well. Kate Nash is British and adorable. It is still a mystery to me why this girl isn’t bigger in the US. We need to be best friends so we could share clothes.


3. Jared Leto: You may be asking yourself “Jared Leto now… or 1990s?” Now. I currently sport the black fingerless gloves and -yes- even the swoopy side bangs. The front man for the band 30 Seconds to Mars has an album coming out on Tuesday, and I’ll be seeing the entire band in a couple of weeks. You can bet your ass that on Thursday (at Avatar-- your welcome Michael) whatever I’ll be wearing will be some sort of outfit inspired by what he’ll be wearing on stage. The video for “Kings and Queens” is on YouTube, and that, my friends, is flat out eye candy. He wears black like he thinks he's Johnny Cash but will always add a little touch of color (accident? The “splash” Stacey and London are always talking about? You decide.) to help break everything up. Plus, he’s hot.


4. Hayley Williams: Oh, Hayley Williams. This girl is like a queen to every teenage girl (and even some of us out of high school). I’ve been told on some occasions that I look like her, and always taking it as a compliment, I think it’s less about looks and more about style. We have the same hair (a shorter version of the Jared Leto indie man bang), the same gap tooth, we’re both short (I’m 3 inches taller! 5’6 FTW!), but I must say, I copy the girl’s clothes. Was it my love of stripes that drew me to the singer of Paramore, or has my love of Paramore brought out my love of stripes? Am I a victim of the “scene”? Or is it a coincidence? Whatever the case may be, love her, love Paramore, lets be friends.


5. Sheri Moon Zombie: This woman is living the life that I want. Actress. Designer. Los Angeles resident. Married to Rob Zombie. Having her own clothing line, she gets to pretty much wear whatever the hell she wants, whenever the hell she wants. I started wearing aviators because of Sheri Moon. (Yes, Sarah Connor rocks the hell out of the pair she’s wearing in “Terminator 2”, I’m not denying that) Bordering between seventies badass and modern day rock goddess, she has made fashion her bitch. Thank you, thank you, thank you. It is no secret how much I love her clothes: Exihbit A. Exhibit B. How nerdy am I by the way, currently wearing one of those hoodies while I’m typing this? By the way bitch needs to play Harley Quinn in a Batman movie. (Tell me I’m wrong!) Dear Sheri Moon: may I work for you? You can pay me in clothes. I promise.

Now that I have the ability to receive comments, I'd like to know who inspires you the most!

3 comments:

Aesa Lesicki said...

Totally love all of your icon choices. I cannot say that I know fashion by any way, shape, or form. But I always enjoy your choices of outfits, and wish I had the balls to be fashionable like you are!! Kudos young lady!!

Aesa Lesicki said...

Now I don't really pass off any one person's style as my own, but these are a few peoples style that I like.

Rachel Bilson is absolutely perfect in my eyes!! She is beautiful. She is cute. She is fashionable.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-701&va=Rachel+Bilson

Brad Pitt is one of my favorite actors. His real life and movie character style is always top notch.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-701&va=Brad+Pitt

Maynard James Keenan is the rock star I would copy, to say, if I were a rock star. Crazy and out there does little to describe his style.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=yfp-t-701-s&va=maynard+james+keenan&sz=all

David Beckham has it all. Tons of money, a GORGEOUS wife, and great style.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0WTb_6lOR1LAiQAZPmJzbkF?fr2=sg-gac&sado=1&p=david%20beckham&fr=yfp-t-701-s&ei=utf-8&x=wrt

Anonymous said...

love your blog! fun to read :-)